Are you facing the frustrating "Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in HP Instant Ink" error on your HP printer? This is a common problem that occurs in HP Plus printers. In this blog, we will provide 3 practical solutions to this problem. It is of great help to those users who have accidentally logged out of the HP Instant Ink service and who want to continue using their HP+ printer effectively after out-of-service.
What Causes This Error?
When you use HP Instant Ink cartridges in a printer that is not connected to the HP Instant Ink service, a "Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in HP Instant Ink" error is often displayed. It will also appear on your printer after you've canceled your HP Instant Ink subscription. This can be an annoying predicament, but don't worry, there are ways around it.
Fix the Error "Cartridge Cannot Be Used until Printer Is Enrolled in HP Instant Ink"
1. Resubscribe to HP Instant Ink Service
The easiest way to fix this error is to resubscribe to the HP Instant Ink service. Please follow these steps to re-establish the link between the printer and your HP Instant Ink subscription:
Step 1: Sign in to Your HP Instant Ink Account
- Visit the HP Instant Ink website at https://hpconnected.com/.
- Log in using the email address and password you used when setting up your subscription. If you forget your password, please follow the instructions provided to reset it.
Step 2: Manage Subscription
- Once logged in, click the "Manage Subscription" button.
- On the subscription page, make sure your printer is turned on and connected to Wi-Fi. You should see the "connected" status along with the current date and time.
Now, check the display of your HP printer. It should show that your printer is registered with HP Instant Ink again.
This should resolve the "Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in HP Instant Ink" error so you can print normally.
2. Hack HP Instant Ink
For those who want to use an HP+ printer without the HP Instant Ink program, here are some inspirations.
Step 1: Cancel Subscription to HP Instant Ink Service
If you determine that HP Instant Ink no longer meets your needs and wish to cancel your subscription, here's how you can do it:
Method 1: Cancel Subscription via the HP Smart App
- Download the HP Smart app and create an account (if you don’t have one).
- Open the HP Smart appand click the "HP Instant Ink" button.
- Select "Update Plan" and then scroll down to find "Plan Details."
- Then click "Cancel my HP Instant Ink Subscription".
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the cancellation process, which includes acknowledgment of terms, such as terminating cartridge functionality at the end of the billing cycle.
Method 2: Reset the Printer to Factory Default Settings
If you're having trouble canceling your HP Instant Ink subscription, you can try restoring your printer settings to factory defaults, which typically breaks HP's subscription program.
Open the printer's utility, select the menu, and click “Restore Printer to Factory Default Settings”.
HP Instant Ink messages can be disabled using either method, and the program should automatically deactivate at the end of the billing cycle. After you cancel the service, you can use regular HP ink cartridges in the printer.
Step 2: Reset the Printer Network
After canceling the HP Instant Ink service, you will need to reset the printer network before the end of the current billing cycle. Here are the steps to reset your printer network:
- Press the Wi-Fi icon to access the Wi-Fi details page on the printer.
- Click Settings and then press Restore Network Settings.
- Disconnect the printer from your computer settings.
- Press and hold the Wi-Fi-Direct icon for three seconds to enable Wi-Fi Direct on the printer.
- Connect the computer to HP's Wi-Fi.
- Re-add the printer to your computer settings.
By following these steps, you will be able to continue using your HP printer without Instant Ink. This error message no longer hinders your printing tasks. You should be able to start printing normally! The remaining HP Instant Ink cartridges (if they are not already empty) can be used up without any problems.
For further details, read our blog How To Hack HP Instant Ink After Cancelling.
3. Buy Standard HP Ink Cartridges / Compatible HP Ink Cartridges
The last way is to use standard HP ink cartridges or compatible HP ink cartridges, which is what we recommend. You can use HP standard ink cartridges after canceling your HP Instant Ink subscription. However, there is a more cost-effective way - buy compatible ink cartridges. Simply cancel your subscription when your HP Instant Ink cartridges run out, remove the empty cartridges and replace them with compatible cartridges.
True Image has compatible HP 910XL, HP 962XL, and other ink cartridges available. They produce vibrant colors and crisp lines at a fraction of the OEM price, making them worth a try. 30-Day Money Back Guarantee & Free Shipping over $30!
It can be frustrating to encounter the "Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in HP Instant Ink" error, but there are ways to fix it. If you want to continue using your HP Plus printer after canceling the subscription, you can refer to the solutions we provide. Hope this blog helps you out with some troubles.